Through casual inquiries made during the winter of 1977-1978 by Don and Dot Hodges it was determined that there were a number of Samoyed owners in this area who were interested in the formation of a Samoyed Club. Letters were sent to those who expressed an interest and the first organizational meeting was held at the Hodges residence on March 29, 1978. Eleven households attended that first meeting and the groundwork was laid for the formation of the Samoyed Association of Madison, Inc.
- To encourage and promote quality breeding of purebred Samoyeds and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection.
- To urge members and breeders to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which the Samoyed shall judge.
- To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows and obedience trials.
- To conduct sanctioned and licensed specialty shows and events under the rules of the American Kennel Club.
- Christmas cards & Note Paper:
An annual contest is held to select sketches appropriate for note paper and Christmas cards. Several of these selections are available. Each comes in a pack of 10 complete with envelopes for $5.00 a package. Cards and note paper may be obtained directly from the club secretary.
- Winter Sledding:
SAMI members have participated in a winter sledding event held in the Madison area each year. Members bring their Sammies and sleds to this event. Equipment and harnesses are available if visitors with Sams wish to try them out at team sledding.
- SAMI Rescue:
John D. Hanson, 608-244-0514, acts as contact person for placement of lost or abandoned Samoyeds. he also maintains a list of persons who are interested in adopting a Samoyed if one becomes available. If you are interested in adopting a Samoyed contact John.
A club newsletter is sent to all members. Other interested people may receive an individual copy free on request or subscribe annually at a rate of $5.00. SAMI-BUZZ is published monthly and contains information on upcoming meetings, programs and events.
- Fun and Sanctioned Matches:
Fun and sanctioned matches are held each year to give Sammy owners an opportunity to socialize their Sams and to compete in conformation and obedience with other Sams. Premium lists containing informaton on time, date, location, etc. of matches are sent out to interested persons prior to the date of the event.
- SAMI Specialty Show:
Each February SAMI holds a Specialty Show, Obedience Trial and Sweepstakes. Spectator admission is free. Premium lists containing information on the date, time, location, etc. of the specialty are sent out to interested persons prior to the date of the event.
- Herding Instruction and Trials:
- Monthly Membership Meetings:
Business meetings and occasional programs.
SAMI is an organization of Samoyed owners dedicated to preserving and improving our chosen breed. If you want to learn more about the Samoyed breed or our club and its goals, please contact us.